I'd do two things to check:

1. Check that your LDAP programs or systems are OK,
by doing:

ldapwhoami -x

2. Check the permissions on you LDAP DB directory.

What change did you do ?

Alexander Samad wrote:

Hi

I seem to have run into a bit of ldap problem, I was trying to do a
change to my ldap database and it froze the command did not seem to
complete. I was using phpldapadmin to modify a record

Since then I have had problems doing anything against the ldap db.

eg ldapsearch -x - stop 1/3 of the way through in the same spot!
slapcat - stop and freezes in the same spot

slapindex gets stuck as well

when I have done a strace agains these processes (slapindex, slapcat), they seem to be pumping out schd_yeild and ps has then up s R

I have am wondering what tools there are to look at the bdbm database
files, I had a quick look at the db4_xxxx files but they haven't been
much help.

Currently looking for a backup of the data, I have a replicated site
(fingers crossed), but I used to backup the raw files, but it seems like
I have a backup of dud files !

Alex