On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 12:21 +1000, Rod Butcher wrote:
> Is there any newbie-friendly emergency recovery  tool  out there ? By
> that I mean something that will run from the bootup command line,
> without X, but has a Gui, allows the user to browse & mount partitions &
> directories, copy & edit files etc in some sort of visual mode. I
> realize that experienced users can do all this from the command line but
> I'm a newbie still, I need a tool like Nautilus combined with a
> partition tool.

I don't know of any 'emergency bootup disks' with this stuff, but 'mc'
is a reasonable file manager that runs from console and 'cfdisk' is ok
as a disk partitioner.

They're both curses based, and probably suitable for this kind of thing.
There were small CDs that used to be around with this stuff. I'm sure
someone else will know where you can get them.

HTH,

James.

--
James Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>