Ryan Tsai wrote:
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply, I have

wins support = no
wins server = 192.168.0.9 #the wins server on the LAN

In my Samba config file, I tried disabling wins on host 192.168.0.9 and
enabling wins support on this box, but didn't seem to help. Just in case
it's a configuration problem I also tried using identical config from these
working boxes, but didn't help either. This is the global part of my smb.conf:

workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba server
encrypt passwords = yes
dos charset = CP932
unix charset = EUC-JP
display charset = CP932
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Re*new*password* %n\n *success*
unix password sync = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
deadtime = 15
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=16384 SO_SNDBUF=16384
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd %u
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast dns lm announce = false
dns proxy = no
wins support = no
wins server = 192.168.0.9
wins proxy = no
dos filetimes = Yes
dos filetime resolution = Yes
print cap name = cups
printing = cups
cups server = localhost
load printers = yes
printer admin = zechs
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
invalid users = root
obey pam restrictions = yes
pam password change = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = yes
message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' zechs < %s;
rm %s

I'm pulling my hair out on this one... maybe it has to do with my version of
glibc

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

  A couple of quick things to remember.  Wins should be enabled on one and only one server (samba or
windows) at a time.  If you turn on "wins support" for this host, it has to be able to resolve
the names.  I think this means you have to have "winbindd" running to handle the wins resolution.