On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 13:02 +1000, Rod Butcher wrote:
> Can anybody tell me about or point me to writing on differences between
> & comparative strengths & weaknesses of EXT3 & NTFS ?

Ext3 is faster than NTFS for most use cases (it avoids fragmentation
better than NTFS by trying to write files to contiguous space rather
than the first available free space like NTFS does). Its also quite
faster in disk check times.

As someone said, both Ext3 and NTFS only journal meta data by default,
but you can have full journaling if you want, either via the j attribute
on particularly important files or by changing the whole FS to do full
journaling with tune2fs.

You can read/write NTFS in Linux and read/write Ext3  in Windows. You
just need software 'captive NTFS' for Linux and 'ext3fsd' for Windows

Ext3 also has POSIX ACLs like NTFS does, though someone said otherwise.

Someone said NTFS supports sparse files. Are you sure? IIRC Virtual
Server 2005 (MSs VMware competitor) has to do all kinds of clunky stuff
cause NTFS doesn't support sparse files...

Mike
--
Mike MacCana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>