Hi,

I upgraded to 2.6.8 (from 2.6.5) a couple of weeks back and everything was
relatively smooth with the exception that my sata disks changed from being
recognized as ide devices (hd*) to scsi disks (sd*).

I went to use an occasionally used lacie external usb hard drive on the
weekend only to find this no longer functioned (and it's been fine since i
first got it and was using a 2.4.20 kernel). i figured i may have forgotten
to configure the kernel accordingly and wanted to change to 2.6.8.1 in any
event. it turns out the kernel options were compiled in (scsi disk support
and usb mass storage support and usb generic support) the device still no
longer functions in fact it's not even detected when i plug it in. a usb
flash drive i has is still fine, detects as a scsi device (/dev/sdc) it alos
appears in /proc/scsi/usb-storage.

any hints here? or anyone else finding similar problems? i've googled on this
for a few hours and have found some similar problems recorded but no
suggestions as to fixes etc.

brett