Simon Bryan wrote:
Hi all,
We are trying to use SSI to read the IP address of requests to our
webserver so we can deny some ip addresses access to certain pages.

I have followed the instructions at:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html#configuringyourservertopermitssi

Which method did you use to allow SSI?

We are viewing it using Firefox and IE, when we connect to some remote
servers using this system it displays fine. Just in our case the variable
is always empty.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but if you haven't properly configured your SSI then yes, the page will display, but the variable will be blank.

I'd suggest you test it using the XBitHack as it's the quickest and easiest way to allow SSI (you can take up the issue of security implications separately). In which case, make sure you've set the executable bit (chmod +x) on the relevant page and you should be fine.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick entirely.

Craig