On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 07:55:00AM +1000, Kirti Pankhania wrote:
> Any SQL-ledger users at SLUG?

There are at least two of us, although I don't think either of us are using
the POS functionality.

> When picking product items, would it be possible to have checkboxes instead
>  of radio buttons so that one can pick multiple items to build up the
>  invoice? To select one item at a time takes ages.

I presume it would be possible.  But this isn't the place to discuss this --
I'd keep it on sql-ledger-users.

> The other issue is that every time the page is refreshed with a single new
>  item, this can take from 5 to 25 seconds - despite the fact that user is on
>  the local host, not on a remote terminal. Could this lack of speed be due
> to  Apache not being tuned? For a ten or 20-item
>  invoice it would take about 5 minutes to build up the invoice, because
>  remember that a fresh product list is called up after choosing the last
>  item. Any pointers? I suspect my 600 mhz CPU and 64mb ram is not the issue
> as this is just a tiny demo database.

I think that the 64MB of RAM is a possible cause of problems.  What else is
running on the machine?  Since you're running locally, your web browser is
probably chewing up all the core, causing Apache to have to swap out, then
swap in to service the request, then swap out to allow the browser to swap
back in to display the result, and so on and so forth.  Installing
SQL Ledger on a machine which isn't overcommitted might be a good start, or
at least determining (through top or whatever) whether your Apache is in
fact swapping and frothing.

I say this as someone whose SQL Ledger setup is running on a 64MB P166 (pure
server, though, with no X or web browser or anything else chewing up all the
RAM) and who hasn't noticed any 5-25 second delays while creating invoices
(and I'd get pissed off if I had them, because I'm an impatient kind of
guy).

- Matt