<quote who="David">
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > That may not be sufficient. On a lot of recent machines, the audio cable
> > from the CD-ROM drive to the sound card is not installed. Windows Media
> > Player uses CDDA digital extraction and then plays the music as if it were
> > a wav file. This won't use the analog cable, and allows the visualisation
> > effects they play (otherwise they'd have to capture the audio from the sound
> > card).
> >
> > Which means that you need a CDDA based CD player to play them... which Gnome
> > 2.8's CD player isn't, but 2.8.1's should be... the patch just missed the
> > freeze date.
> >
> > Of course, this is not to say that your problem isn't just that the CD
> > channel is turned down in your mixer :)
>
> Thanks, Jan.. I now have both Mahler and Zeppelin.

OK - you have the audio cable between your CD player and the sound card then
:)

> Now the cute little speaker icon on the desktop shows zero and is
> non-functional. I don't care about that too much, but it certainly fails
> the "Just Works" test espoused by Ubuntu. A non-technical person would
> have no hope.

That's a bit strange, I'm not sure what's going on there.

> I'm also trying to set up GnomeMeeting, but even though I can induce
> feedback using alsamixer (implying that both speakers and mike are
> working), GnomeMeeting's test is implacably silent :( Ditto for
> GnomeMeeting's video.

Did you hit the space bar when 'mic' was selected to turn on the 'capture'
flag?

J.
--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants Pants.
Lovely Pants, wonderful Pa-ants.
Lovely Pants, wonderful Pa-ants.
(Shut up! Bloody Vikings.)