Michael Fox wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:29:04 +1000, Ben Donohue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the quick reply.
The ADSL modem is a modem router. It has a USB and four ethernet ports.
My Linux firewall is connected to it via an ethernet cable and is on
eth0. hence the 10.x range. Are you saying I've got to configure the
ADSL modem router to be a dumb device and so it has to pass the public
IP to the USB? interface on the Linux box? (if so i'll have to figure
out how the make the ADSL modem do it... any clues here???)

You need to tell your ADSL router to port forward the service you want through (and where to).

ie. I run a webserver on the linux firewall and its ip is 10.0.0.8

I'd then tell my ADSL router in its port forwarding rules to allow TCP
80 through, and send itr to 10.0.0.8

That way when someone externally accesses our public ip on port 80 TCP
it passes through the router as per the port forwarding rules.

You could do this for DNS the same way.

Thanks

Also make sure for DNS you forward both TCP and UDP port 53. This cought me the first time.

- Karl