On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 19:48 +1000, Elliott-Brennan wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> The tablet and pen worked 'out of the box' in the (problematic) manner
> I've described. The site I mentioned: I don't have the *vaguest* idea of
> how to implement what they suggest (it may make sense and it's just that
> I lack the experience to grasp it ??). Their graphic of the GUI looks
> nice though :))
>
> How do I work with the xset program (I've found the location of the
> files, but it's nothing I've so far
> played-with/damaged/accidentally-deleted-and-am-too-embarrassed-to-tell-
> anyone-about :) and so... !?

the xset program sets X 'properties' (I think that's what they're
called). One of the many things it can do is alter the ratio of
mouse-distance to screen distance. For example, to slow the mouse way
down, you might try a command like:

    xset m 1/10

which means to apply a 1x multiplier to speed, and a 10x divisor. It
sounds like that's the wrong way to do it but it's worth a shot.

> Linux reads the tablet and the pen (and therefore picks up the feedback
> from the pen). The pressure point works and so do the buttons on the
> pen... Confused/perplexed? Moi?

ok. We need to find out what drivers are running this thing so we can
find out what can configure it. Can you send the output of lsmod and
lsusb? I can't think of a program that would tell us about your X
config, so can you take a look through that and see if there's any
references to stuff that looks like it might be your tablet? I realise
that's not very helpful but I don't know what to look for.

If it turns out that Mandrake has automatically loaded the driver from
that page (which is not unlikely), then it may just be a case of getting
an rpm of that configurator program and installing it.

In fact, getting that installed may not be a bad next move. The worst it
will do is tell you that it won't work. Does anyone know where one can
procure such an rpm?

HTH,

James.

--