On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 08:47:58AM +1000, Gareth Smith wrote:
> To use msn I need version 0.69 or greater, the only version of gaim I
> can get is 0.58 and I can't run msn on this version as they say on
> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/faq.php#q66

That looks like the version from Debian stable.  You can either search
around for a 'backport' of the latest gaim to work with your system,
or just upgrade your whole system.  Despite the name, 'unstable'
really is quite stable, and has the latest stuff to boot.

> How do you update apt-get to get the lates updates?
> I've tryed apt-get update

The 10 second guide to updating is

1) edit /etc/apt/sources.list to just have two lines something like

deb ftp://mirror.cse.unsw.edu.au/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://mirror.cse.unsw.edu.au/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

(change the mirror.cse.unsw.edu.au to a mirror that is closer to you;
your isp's if they have one otherwise ftp.au.debian.org is a safe bet)

2) run apt-get update

3) run apt-get dist-upgrade

4) wait (it will need to download a lot)

Good luck,

-i
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au