Thanks Phill

It would appear what you said is totally correct. I had a feeling it
was probably the case, which is why I burnt the knoppix cd I
downloaded overnight. I booted with knoppix then copied the config it
created. Plonked this on debian and bang she works.. and its the freq
stuff per res that is different or atleast in the new config.

All good now..

However it appears I ran out of space on /usr. Time for a reinstall
via the netinst again. Ah well.. will let it run while I am out most
of the day.. thank goodness for local free mirrors and broadband :)

Thanks