> a deviation of less than 1 millisecond to support applications that require
> real time, or a near enough real time environment. Why? I'm porting a time
> critical telephony product from Solaris to Linux.

do you mean real time in the correct sense, which has little to do with
clock rate and way more to do with interrupt latencies... or real time in
that the system clock has a 1ms accuracy?

2.6 kernels are usually configured with a 1ms timer interrupt, Fedora runs
with one at least... I'm sure latest Suse has 1ms...

> Has anyone had any experience at hacking either of these distro's so they use
> a real time clock or been able to tweak the clock so there is less than 1
> millisecond deviation?

You could also use the processors rtdsc which runs at a much higher rate
and is very accurate...

from my reading you don't want a realtime OS as much as a general purpose
OS with a good timer, (you can set your app into the realtime scheduler
queue on Linux as well to give a higher priority..)

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person