AFAIK, the only way to do it is to have a mod_rewrite rule in the
scene. You can do it like this (in your httpd.conf or .htaccess):

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/users/(.+) /~$1

That means, anytime an URL looks like
http://example.com/users/johndoe, the actual request will get
rewritten to http://example.com/~johndoe.
By the way, I didn't test the rule above, so you can expect some
errors. The "URL Rewriting Guide" from Apache 2.0 documentation
contains several examples that can help any possible corrections.

--
Julio C. Ody
http://rootshell.be/~julioody