ive heard to the contrary with nvidia drivers.

I've got an Nvidia and was running the standard nv drivers that come with Xorg. I downloaded and installed the binary nvidia driver and there is a marked improvement. *HOWEVER*, if I left the computer alone for a couple of hours and came back to it some screen saver / energy saver thing had kicked in and the screen would not come back on when I moved the mouse or typed on the keyboard. A remote login and kill of X sometimes worked if I cycled it enough times but usually it was a reboot to get video working again.

I've gone back to the nv driver.

Cheers

P.