Conrad Parker wrote:
Oath. It's sometimes useful to think of a "directory" as a file containing
a list of filenames (along with their inodes and stuff). So, the act of
removing a file is actually a matter of editing the directory. Back in
the days when unix was pure and kfish was in nappies, you could actually
edit directories directly; or so I've heard. But then some usability nuts
came and ruined things as usual, in order to stop people hosing their
filesystems. Similarly, you need read access to ls, and to execute a directory
> you cd into it.
Isn't that all beautifully simple?

Indeed it is elegant Conrad :-) Thinking of a "directory" as a file makes reminds me that many people have told me that in UNIX "everything is a file". I am still amazed at the things that those 'files' in /proc can tell me about my hardware. It means people like me can write easy programs that can just access the data like a file instead of having to write some archane C stuff to access hardware info via some obscure low level access methods.

Oh this thread started as I was trying to write a script to run AIDE remotely. That's done now and the script is up at http://www.speleonics.com.au/mikes/linux.html
Click on "run_aide". Its a v.short simple script but really useful.

Mike
--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If