Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">

James Gray wrote:

there.  If only it was KDE - heheh.  I look forward to seeing what comes
up.

Actually I wonder how does Gnome 2.8 compare with the KDE I have now on debian testting as far as usability goes - can you tell if it's complete now?

If it's complete? What was missing?

Well, maybe I have more learning to do but in KDE things just "seat together" - when I add a CPU monitor or Skype it just inserts itself to
the Kicker panel whereas for Gnome it created its own window. I learned
since about some tool to bridge the gap but the fact that I had to learn
about a separate tool is already a sort of a "rough edge" to get over in
order to use Gnome effectively.

I'd love to try gnome 2.8 but only have one box to play with and no time
to fix it if I break it in the process.

You could try the latest Ubuntu or Gnoppix LiveCDs.

I'd like to try them on an existing debian testing. Booting to it from a CD then rebooting back to my permanent Debian installation won't be quite useful. At best it will let me get an impression of it.

Can anyone with experience with both env's say what the latest Gnome feels
like compared to the latest KDE?

They taste different. There are some feature inequalities, depending on what
you find important. KDE has options out the wazoo, even to the point of
including a search interface in their control panel. GNOME is concentrating
on its 'Just Works' philosophy, so that in-depth, technical configuration
becomes unnecessary.

It comes down to what you know and what you like. :-)

Maybe so. I probably need to find time to play with Gnome. With KDE I just installed and used (even though I don't like its look very much).

Cheers,

--Amos