Right your PATA devices don't change, so it makes no difference. If you had
SATA devices in there and cut from say a 2.6.5 to a 2.6.8 kernel your SATA
devices would go from /dev/hd* to /dev/sd*, it's not a big deal other than
needing to modify fstab to accomodate the change.

regards, brett

--
Brett Fenton
NetRegistry Pty Ltd

http://www.netregistry.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 96996099  |  Fax: +61 2 96996088
PO Box 270 Broadway  |  NSW 2007, Australia

Your Total Internet Business Services Provider
Trusted by 10,000s of Oz Businesses Since 1997