<quote who="Ken Foskey">

> On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 10:40 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > Note that the entire break-in started with a sniffed password, which
> > SELinux could not help with in the slightest. It may have kept the
> > intruder stuck with no where to go.
>
> I am still confused why SELlinux would have prevented the escalation to
> root?  There was a method by which a common program could intrude on the
> kernel, does it stop you from executing code?

SELinux, when configured properly, would have made it inordinately hard for
an unprivileged [1] user to escalate their privileges to the equivalent of
root (because, with SELinux, you can make 'root' or uid 0 entirely useless).
So that common program may not have the capabilities to intrude on the
kernel as it might on other systems.

- Jeff

[1] and with SELinux, we're talking about *much* finer grain privileges and
capabilities that Linux provides

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia         http://lca2005.linux.org.au/

                  Push the envelope, or push the daisies.