I don't know PHP that well but how about naming it .php and set
the content-type to text/css from inside PHP?

Or how about putting all your .css files under directory css/
(I think it's considered generally a good idea, like concentrating
all your images under "images/") and telling apache to set text/css
for all files under this dir while still the .php suffix tells apache
to pass the files through PHP?

Just ideas I'd explore if I were you, nothing testted.

Cheers,

--Amos

Howard Lowndes wrote:
I have a CSS file which has to be named *.css so that Apache knows to
send it as a text/css mime type but I want to do some PHP processing on
before it goes out; unfortunately Apache appears not to know to pass it
through the PHP handler as it not named *.php so the embedded PHP code
doesn't get processed.

I assume I have to do something with Action, AddHandler and SetHandler
directives, but just what exactly.