On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 06:14:23PM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 02:25:22PM +1100, James Gregory wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:31:50PM +1100, Toliman wrote:
> > > and it is 'relatively' secure, in that it would hopefully
> > > take a p4 a few hours to brute force... more likely in minutes.
> >
> > How long is 'a few hours'? I didn't think things were that dire. Are you
> > talking about a straight brute force or some kind of known-plaintext
> > attack or what?
>
> Isn't the kerberos ticket only valid for a few minutes anyway?

Only if you want to be re-typing your password every few minutes.

One of the features of Kerberos was supposed to be a single sign-on --
obtain a TGT (Ticket-Granting Ticket) and then use that as a
password-equivalent until it times out, after which time you need to get
another TGT by resupplying your credential (password).

Think of it as longer-lived "one-time passwords" -- you don't have to keep
typing your password all the time, but the "password" you do pass around has
a limited life and gets recreated every few hours.

- Matt