i think you are talking about editing menu.lst which is probably going to
reside someplace like /boot/grub/menu.lst

then you'll want to add a line like:

splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

where splash.xpm.gz is the image you want to load, or alternatively comment
the line out if you want to get rid of the image, this just gives you a plain
text boot screen.

regards, brett