Hey Bevan,

Have you set up the BIOS so it boots from the CD/DVD drive before the
hard disk drive? There should be some option in the BIOS so that it
tries to boot from the CD first, then the hard disk, etc. After you
have Linux installed, you can easily change the order back, so that it
speeds up the boot process.

You'll have to check up on how you can access the bios on your
machine, though (check the manuals).

Hope that helps,

        Dave.