This one time, at band camp, Gavin Carr wrote:
>Except that that assumes describing the goal state is about the same complexity
>(or easier) as making the changes directly. In my playing around with cfengine
>I've found the learning curve and the extra layer of indirection mostly
>annoying, rather than helpful. Usually I know the changes I want to make in
>/etc; it's faster just to go ahead and do it than figure out how to convince
>cfengine to do the same thing.

There's certainly a tough learning curve; I've been using it now for 5 years
and it's only the last one where I've had enough power to use it
effectively.

I find the power comes from reduction of human error, though...

>True enough - where cfengine really seems to shine is in large heterogenous
>networks (e.g. >= 25 machines). OTOH, most of the server environments I
>encounter are much smaller than that; typically 5-15 machines, and usually
>mostly or all Linux. In this kind of environment I've found cfengine to be
>overkill - the learning curve for the local admins is just too much to
>justify the benefits.

I find it's an advantage even in smaller homogenous networks; 2 or more :-)
I'd certainly use cfengine on a network of 5 machines if I was to start
administering it -- there'll come a point where the network will grow and
you'll want a tool that'll help you cope with the size increase.

I know there's a lack of beginners guides on cfengine; perhaps there's an
opportunity for a recap on Gus' talk a few years ago at the meetings.