the scanner will be in /dev however by the interface the device is connected
across. if it's on a parallel port it'll be /dev/lp0 or ./lp1 etc.

you can create a scanner group, modify permissions/group on the device, and
add the users you want to the group and you should be able to scan ok.

regards, brett

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 09:30, William Chivers wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope that this email is the appropriate way to add a question to the
> discussion. If not, apologies for the unsolicited email.
>
> Has anyone managed to get a parallel port scanner (CanoScan N 340P)
> working with Mandrake 10.0? I used the Mandrake configuration tool to
> setup the scanner - it had the scanner model in its list - and according
> to the setup tool all went well. However, noone but the root user can
> use the scanner - no other user has the appropriate permissions. The
> scanner works well for the root user, by the way.
>
> Searching for this problem in Slug and elsewhere locates plenty of
> information about this problem and USB scanners, but nothing for
> parallel scanners.
>
> Should I locate the offending file and change its permissions? If so,
> what is the file? Searching file:/ for "scanner" did not find anything
> relevant. There is no scanner entry in /dev. Or should I somehow add
> users to the scaner group or vice-versa?
>
> I had this problem with Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2 and just ran the scanner as
> root, thinking that Mandrake might eventually sort this out...
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Chivers

> William J. Chivers
> Lecturer in Information Technology
> School of DCIT
> Faculty of Science and Information Technology
> University of Newcastle---Ourimbah Campus
> PO Box 127, Ourimbah, NSW 2259
> Australia
>
> phone:   +61 2 4349 4473
> fax:     +61 2 4349 4565
> email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brett Fenton
NetRegistry Pty Ltd

http://www.netregistry.com.au/

Tel: +61 2 96996099  |  Fax: +61 2 96996088
PO Box 270 Broadway  |  NSW 2007, Australia

Your Total Internet Business Services Provider
Trusted by 10,000s of Oz Businesses Since 1997