On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:59:21 +1100 (EST), [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.4.26-r9 and Debian Woody on a
> hospital imaging network.
>
> The introduction of both these machines appears to be associated with
> connectivity loss of other computers on the same subnet.
> There are a number of possible causes including:
>
> * A malfunctioning cisco switch
> * A misconfigured cisco switch

Have you considered plugging the linux machine into another port, ie.
swap it with another device.

Better yet, swapping linux machine to another port (and leaving the
port it once used free) Does the problem happen still? If not, then
its probably due to the fact the port it was plugged into is now not
in use (means its the faulty port on the switch?)

Might also pay to try a different nic, as I believe you suggested.
What nic is in the machine currently? I personnally like Intel, 3com
and the old Netgear FA310TX :)