Hi Rod

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Rod Butcher wrote:

> Hello sluggers, I'm trying to build hal (hardware abstraction layer) for
> Gnome's volume manager for 2.8. It comes with "-lnsl" not found - what
> is libnsl.so if it exists, or is this a script bug ? I can't get into
> the freedesktop.org site (where hal lives) because it's been hacked...
> so no info.
> thanks
> Rod

A quick google shows that it is part of libc and is called Name Services Layer
according to:
http://linux.about.com/cs/linux101/g/libnsl.htm
Definition: libnsl: Name services library, a library of name service calls
(getpwnam, getservbyname, etc...) on SVR4 Unixes. GNU libc uses this for the
NIS (YP) and NIS+ functions.

> --

On my RedHat 9 and Debian boxes it lives in /usr/lib