I'm trying to connect a DV camara to a newly built
Ubuntu(2.6 kernel recompiled for 686) box without success, So far i
have learned that for some reason the system that Ubuntu uses dosn't
create the appropriate dev node when the raw1394 module is loaded,

I have added the following to the end of my bootmisc.sh

mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0
chown root:video /dev/raw1394
chmod 666 /dev/raw1394

The software I am trying to use is Kino and DVGrab both of which i
installed from binary packages. attempts to access the camera come
back with an error no camera found.

I have previously used the same firewire controller to access a
firewire hard drive enclosure (under mandrake) Ditto for the camera
(but with a different controller).

regards

Konrad