Rod Butcher wrote:

Depends whether the app is a big part of your work/interest or just
incidental. If a big part you need to have an indepth understanding and
it's worth spending time developing that. If not, to be productive you
need the quickest most moronic solution to the problem without caring
how/why it works. An analogy is cars - you put the petrol in the hole at
the back right side and the car goes. A professional driver would be
interested in the whole fuel flow system in case it stopped working. In this case I had to change an email address, and I very seldom do
graphics, and have no interest in them. The .png should have taken 5
minutes to replace. Kolourpaint met this requirement, there's a single
screen with a big fat Transparency button on the bottom left, so I
pressed it.
Perhaps apps with heavy-duty functionality need 2 uis - One for "moron
mode" with perhaps a reduced feature set ("what type of background would
you like today ?"), but geared towards "push this button to...", and
another for the serious user who can justify the time investment to
fully utilize the app.
You can't keep blaming the user for being too lazy to learn an app, this
argument was lost years ago.

On the other hand the GIMP is not really intended for the simple jobs that the very casual user would need. It is a "horses for courses" situation. In other words, you don't need a rotary hoe to cultivate your pot plants.
Kolourpaint is adequate for most uses, but if you wish to remove those wrinkles from your photo, improve your hairline or get rid of that double chin, it wont cut it.
So as I said before, the GIMP is a fairly easy to use (once you get to understand how it works) heavy duty tool which fits into the same area as Photoshop and was never intended for the casual user.

Stay well and happy
Heracles