On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:18:15AM +1100, john gibbons wrote:
>    Dumbo (that's me) sees an application on the internet he wants to
> try. He clicks 'download'. Easy. A little window says         'Download
> in progress'. A pause . A little window says 'Download complete'. A
> little sign pops up saying 'Install? Yes,         No'.
>    Dumbod clicks 'Yes'. A brief pause then a friendly little window
> says, 'Install complete'. Dumbo then happily clicks on the     new Icon
> or application name and, hooray!!, it runs.

Not that I've tried it for quite a while, but I was sure that your average
web browser these days had enough MIME smarts to be able to fire up a
package manager GUI and do the package install rhumba with you (root privs
notwithstanding).

About the only thing that might be missing from the process is the automatic
satisfaction of package dependencies, and a quiet "ptooee!" from the package
management GUI if your system couldn't install the necessary dependencies.
But that's hardly an insurmountable challenge.  Add the ability for Debian
systems to install .RPMs (via alien) and you've got a good chance that what
you want is already available (modulo the incomplete metadata and namespace
games that may still plague RPMs).

- Matt