Michael Lake wrote:
Hi all

I have a strange problem. Im trying to create a new XF86Config-4 file as after an upgrade X does not work anymore. I get no screens found.
But hen I do a "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" a new XF86Config-4 config file is not written.

There are no errors during the reconfiguration, I answer all the dialogs using the default values from last time but no new config is written at the end. The config would normally be in /etc/X11 or maybe /root

I have searched with find for XF86Config-4 and XF86Config-4.new
I have even tried removing any old XF86Config-4 but to mo luck.

I had the same thing happen when my XF86Config-4 file was altered by another program.

From Sarge /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

# If you have edited this file but would
# like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
# cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
# md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86