Mary Gardiner wrote:

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004, O Plameras wrote:

In the case of your original post I did not comment because I did not
have sufficient understanding of the issues. For example, what is the
linux kernel version you are trying to upgrade from ?

2.6.3, Debian kernel build.

What are the logical device names for this SATA device in the original
version of linux you are upgrading from ?

/dev/hde

I assume you can do the above because you can boot off your original
system that is to be upgraded.

I will try it, however I am less optimistic because the controller
driver has changed: if I can't convince 2.6.8/9 to load the new driver
before pivot_root, then it can't mount /. Pure speculation still, but
fiddling around with the initrd is still looking like the best bet.

Aha... then try using instead of,

.....   root=LABEL=/  ....

this,

.....   root=08:01=/  ....

08:01   is the RAW reference name of  /dev/sda1 in
the upgraded version.

I am assuming here that your '/dev/hde'  becomes '/dev/sda1'.

or this,

.....    root=08:05=/  ....

08:05   if  your '/dev/hde' becomes '/dev/sda5' in
the upgraded version.