Don't forget with linux drivers are kernel based. So I'm not sure what
mga_drv.o and vga_drv.o are, but they're not what your looking for.
Kernel modules are hiding in /lib/modules/2.4.x/ don't forget to
replace the x with the final version number of your kernel. The mga
drivers is hiding in drivers/char/drm/ to be exact.

Although i may have suggested the vga driver it maybe better to use
the svga as it should support the modes your using, which the vga one
doesn't.

And yes your presumtion is correct. Drivers compiled into the kernel
are not shown from running lsmod. If you copied the config across to
somewhere, or it still exists in /usr/src/linux you can run a cat
.config | grep "MGA" and see what comes up.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:46:08 +1100, Michael Lake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael Lake wrote:
> > In /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ there is a mga_drv.o and a vga_drv.o
> > which I presume are the Matrox and the VGA drivers that need to be
> > loaded. A 'modprobe vga' or 'modprobe vga_drv' does not find any driver.
> Oh I know to load one OR the other but not both. Bad English there :-)
>

> --
> Michael Lake
> Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS
> Ph: 9514 1725 Fx: 9514 1460
> [pls ignore idiot lawyer's msg below]
>
> --
> UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
> DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
> confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
> read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately
> and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
> individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
> states them to be the views the University of Technology Sydney. Before
> opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.
> --

Menno Schaaf aka ginji
irc.austnet.org #gentoo #linux-help
irc.ifirc.net #linux