> The Codeweavers guys are doing some awesome work, and yeah, I always

> recommend that people use one of the commercially backed versions of
> WINE atm. The way it works (AFAIK) is that Codeweavers keep their own
> tree, and work on that in order to get support for the apps they've got
> targetted in their next release. After the release happens, they submit
> their patches back to mainline WINE and AJ goes off applying patches
> (which is a pretty time consuming process). So mainline WINE is
> generally about a year behind Codeweavers work, and at the moment it's
> also lacking the nice interface for getting stuff installed[*].

that and Codeweavers are willing to implement workarounds that compromise
the api and do hacks to their own tree that aren't acceptable for the Wine
tree, as they are only targeting specific apps and fixes for them...

I'd recommend using Crossover Office if you just want to run MS office
apps way ahead of Wine.. it isn't exactly expensive..

Dave.