On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Matthew Palmer wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 10:37:50PM +1100, Greg Wright wrote:
> > various reasons for this, but if you are using something other than a
> > supported OS (such as a form of linux or UNIX), then you do not need the
> > help from an ISP's help desk other than to ask "Is there any known issues
> > at this time because (blah)"
>
> It would, of course, be useful if the helldesk droids knew whether there are
> any known issues.  Normally they don't -- either because the NOC doesn't
> trust them with the information, or whatever -- and so ringing up and asking
> "is there a problem at your end?" will always get a negative answer.  And
> there's no way they're going to let you report a fault without doing the
> full troubleshooting dance, but they can't do the dance on anything but
> Windows, and so you're fucked.

That's precisely why we (EverythingLinux) started providing ADSL where we
only support Linux. If you're not running Linux we can't help you. We get
to control the whole chain as far as the customer's concerned - from
supplying the server hardware, adsl card, software install, adsl service
and routine upgrades. On the backend we run the radius server and can tail
the logs etc. We frequently know if there's a problem before the customer
does. After the fact or if there's an alternate route (such as a modem) we
can login and make a diagnosis so much easier - every system these days
has an sshd running. Specs on the website under Systems, Business
Solutions.

--
** ROOM FOR RENT $120pw (neg) near Newington Shops 525/401 buses **