<quote who="Rajnish">

> All,
>
> I've been playing with Fedora Core 3 and ubuntu - all on separate
> partitions on /dev/hdb while win2k sits on /dev/hda. Grub is installed
> on MBR.
<snip>
> I have a few questions on Ubuntu and fedora - I want to change
> to a less memory intensive window manager. I've heard of a few ..
> but how do I swap to them ?

You could do in the "root" terminal

aptitude install icewm icewm-themes menu

update-menus

then logout to the gdm display manager and select icewm from xsession
before loging in again. You will probably want to edit various
configuration files for icewm. (I could email an example if required)

> Secondly, the startup of both Ubuntu and Fedora take considerable
> time - I mean minutes. On a standalone system, used for dialup
> internet, what are some services that can be stopped ?

I haven't checked this out yet.

cheers,

Ken