I would suggest that you have more than enough ram on your machine to be doing what you need to be doing. Some other people have mentioned to check that hi mem support is enabled which is important to check too.

What 3d app are you running? I haven't seen any scene in my years of working that couldn't be worked in 2Gigs of ram. Ram might seem cheap for one workstation but when you have 300-1000 rendernodes that all need to have 4 gigs of ram to handle some ones scene you suddenly start to wear costs.