On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Stuart Guthrie wrote:

> I'm about to re-jig my laptop which due to client needs has Linux on one
> partion and winXP on another.
>
> I'm going to back the whole thing up to my server before starting. I was
> wondering what the best technique to use is to ensure all partions, boot
> thingys and secret 'ibm restore' partions all make successfully.
>
> I've got a thinkpad X31 if that helps. I'm thinking dd which I have
> never used but I'm concerned that on restore of partions 'doze will fail
> to boot if I don't get everything - I mean everything backed up in the
> correct manner.
>
> Any thoughts multo appreciato.

Boot it from a rescue floppy, Toms Root Boot or bootable CD or the like,
with enough network support enabled to run your card, mount a disk
remotely on your server, and DD it.

dd if=/dev/hda of=<filename.dump> bs=1024

You'll get an error at the end when it can't count any more blocks {there
may be a way to stop this - but I'm damned if I know what it is}, but you
should get an image you can restore to the disk in total by a similar
method.

DaZZa