On Fri, 2004-12-24 at 08:04 +1100, justin randell wrote:
> hi all,
>
> since the network firewall was tightened where i work, i can't get
> apt-get to work.
>
> i can't figure out why, because i thought apt-get used ftp and http,
> and both of these are allowed through:

Looks like you are using acl's on a cisco router which is not really a firewall.

This will allow you to establish a control chanel connection
access-list 190 permit tcp 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any eq ftp
This will do nothing at all as you will never try to connect to ftp-data (20)
The server will try to connect to you  with a src port of 20
access-list 190 permit tcp 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any eq ftp-data

ftp is one of those unfortunate and ugly protocols like (portmap)
that uses random ports.

traditional ftp
you -> (21) ftp server
ftp requests a high tcp port from you  and connects to you ie an
inbound connection
most acls will block this
you( > 1023) <- (20) ftp server

passive ftp
you -> (21) ftp server
ftp server tells you a high numbered tcp port to connect to
you -> (>1023) ftp_server

note that the connection on 21 is always up it is the control channel.

So from your acls above for passive ftp to work you would need
access-list 190 permit tcp 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 gt 1023 any gt 1023

which probably violates your policy

Solution use http or get a stateful firewall that can create the
required rules on the
firewall. For ip tables use ftp_conntrack module
One last thing if I gave out my companies access rules on a
mailinglist I would be shot.
just include the relevant lines next time.

jimbob