you might save yourself a lot of pain by using a video capture
card and an inexpensive video camera (security camera from jaycar
or dse or something)

firewire camera would also be a great option - firewire cards
are cheap... you might be able to get an old video camera with
some firewire action. ive played with this at work when no
one was breaking anything so i was just sitting around.

both options (especially the firewire) will give vastly superior
images to usb webcams

http://dean.bong.com.au/perl/webcam

my usb quickcam express running from my ibook running debian
i dont use it much though - i think the current image is
a few months old.

Dean

Elliott-Brennan wrote:
Hi,
A relative has just moved O/S and I'm looking at buying a webcam (I have Mandrake 10 Official with the latest kernel). I gather that the Logitech Webcam should work. I'm wondering if anyone is running one (or another one) and what their experience has been (good, bad, indifferent).

Any information/assistance is appreciated.

Regards,

   Patrick