I'm having a problem unzipping a large file.

I get: ... write error (disk full?).

Which is, you would think, a hint that the disk is full.  But I have
20GB free and everything is in the / partition.

I created a 600MB file, and used cat as follows:
        cat 600.file 600.file 600.file 600.file > BigFile

This worked fine, and I ended up with a 2.4GB file as expected.

... and yet unzip seems to just hit a wall.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could diagnose this
situation?

I'm using Debian sarge, BTW.

Many thanks,
        Bruce