Mr A Tomlinson wrote:

Hi there,

Due to the incredible costs quoted by ISP's to provide a VPN solution I've
been trying to figure out the easiest and simplest way to create a VPN
tunnel between two networks where both endpoints are sitting behind NAT
devices. Each site has a single fixed IP address and a cheap adsl Ethernet
modem with NAT enabled.

I don't require encryption on the tunnel and I favour FC3/2 as the end point
OS. IPSec solutions built into the OS don't work over NAT, nor does openswan
and I can't follow the IPSec over UDP solutions offered. Haven't tried the
PPP over ssh option (from tldp) as it got a bad wrap about reliability.

Windows2000 R&Ras has a nice pptp vpn solution that is NAT friendly and easy
to setup, but I don't want to go there when I can use Linux instead for
obvious reasons.

So I came back to iptunnel command (using mode ipip) and searched for
examples. One of the best examples I can find is as
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/IpTunnel. I can't make it happen on
my network below. What I can't figure out is:
1) Will it work over NAT ?
2) Does it require the endpoints to be in a DMZ (defined by NAT modem) or
just open up specific ports for forwarding? What ports?
3) Does it require net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf?
4) Should the tunnel endpoints have their own IP addresses and form Network
C? Such as 10.3.0.0/24?
5) What are the correct ip addresses to use for the local and remote section
of the iptunnel command at each endpoint ? The local eth0 and remote wan0 OR
the Local wan0 and remote wan0?
6) Am I crazy for even attempting this?
7) Yes I have turned off the firewall when attempting this in my test
environment.

My Network

Network A 10.1.0.0
Typical ServerA/ClientA
eth0 10.1.0.31/16 gw 10.1.0.15
| |
eth1 10.1.0.15/16
FC3, Squid Proxy IPTables, VPN Router A (ipip)--|
eth0 10.0.0.15/24 gw 10.0.0.254 |
| |
| |
eth0 10.0.0.254/25 |
Ethernet ADSL Modem, NAT Enabled |
wan0 fixed IP from ISP a.b.c.d |
| |
| |
ISP |
| |
| |
Internet | Desired VPN tunnel
| | Network C ?
| |
ISP |
| |
| |
wan0 fixed IP from ISP e.f.g.h |
Ethernet ADSL Modem NAT Enabled |
eth0 192.168.0.1/24 |
| |
| |
eth0 192.168.0.254/24 gw 192.168.0.1 |
FC3, Squid Proxy, IPTables, VPN Router B (ipip)-|
eth1 192.168.1.254/24
| |

eth0 192.168.1.28/24 gw 192.168.1.254
Typical ServerB/Client B
Network B 192.168.1.0

I appreciate any help, but would prefer to have a smart slugger hand me the solution on a silver plate. Fingers crossed ;-)

Andre

sorry for the question you need an non encrypted solution for p2p if yes i have the solution i tried it both way encrypted and none encrypted with openvpn .if this is what you want do not hesitate to ask