And the winner is.... James Gregory. I owe you a beer. Next slug meeting.
I'm the one with the 'I Love Mandrake' badge at the back of the room..

<  lc_collate                     | C
<  lc_ctype                       | C
<  lc_messages                    | unset
<  lc_monetary                    | C
<  lc_numeric                     | C
<  lc_time                        | C
<  log_connections                | on
---
>  krb_server_keyfile             | unset
>  lc_collate                     | en_US
>  lc_ctype                       | en_US
>  lc_messages                    | en_US
>  lc_monetary                    | en_AU

So Debian seems to be initialising postgres dbs with the first of these
collate sequences meaning that whatever 'C' is seems to return
case-sensitive search results.

Mandrake's standard RPM implements postgres with en_US collation sequences
which means it sorts AaBbCcDd which is what I'd be hoping for.

There is an initdb option to change this standard behaviour.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/charset.html

Was good for me. Other options to do with other 'where' parameters might
have worked but would probably have lead to slower performance (lots of
serial reads, no chance to use indexes) and icky workarounds.

HTH Someone else someday. I did do a lot of googling for this subject but
nothing jumped out at me.

Thanks James and everyone else who helped..

Stuart