On  8 Jan, Ken Foskey wrote:
>  I had a problem with the cable.  The cable modem has an actual address
>  that you can talk to to find out the signal strength of the cable.  The
>  joints of the cable up the pole corroded after a few years.  They moved
>  the connector and it was better.  They ended up rerunning the cable into
>  my house because it was not 100% reliable.  Since then it is fine.

Sounds like my problem: the technician tested the signal strength and
said the noise was high - he spent most of his time outside the house
attending to the box outside to improve the signal-to-noise ratio, and
said more work would be needed to tune up an amplifier (?) further down
the street.

I must say, I like the Optus people.

luke