I keep a Knoppix CD around to aid in recovery from this kind of
disaster... It means you donīt have to use the inadequate tools in grub
to find the kernels.

Whats more, its got the man pages for grub on it (I donīt think its got
the info page though), so you can then just write the correct grub.conf
from within knoppix, save it and re-boot.

Your comment about it being nice having to test it still stands though.

Ben.