On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 22:40 +1100, Alexander Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get 5.1 digital sounds out of my linux box, but I have so
> many sliders in alsa mixer and they all seem to do strange things, but I
> can't seem to get 5.1 to my amp.

I've actually been playing with this on my Audigy in the last week.

> Has any one been able to do this ?

Yep.

> There are lots of
> EMU10K1 PCM
> EMU10K1 PCM Sending
> EMU10K1 PCM Routing

You don't want to play with the send and routing sliders. They're
actually a bitmask that specifies how to connect the various channels in
the emu10k1 dsp to each other.

You can only play 5.1 digital sound on an SPDIF channel in a compressed
form, ie AC3 or DTS. Apparently, SPDIF doesn't have sufficient bandwidth
to carry that many raw audio channels. I think it does at most 4. The
upshot of this is that you can only do 5.1 channels from a DVD player
like xine.

To make that work, turn on the digital output from the card so that
2-channel audio is coming out your amp correctly, and then set xine to
use 'AC3 passthrough' as the speaker configuration in the config dialog.

Your amp should then get the compressed channel coming straight from the
DVD and play it back.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>