sam rosenfeld wrote:

I have always used only one partition (and a swap) on my hard drive, and I have been using
slackware 10 on partition 1 of my HD. I want to switch back to Debian, but I
want to retain the work I've already stored in the slackware partition. How do I
ensure that I will be able to write a bootable version of sarge onto a currently
free hda3 partition? I wxpect to switch over completely to Debian but until the
swtch I want to use both slackware and debian.

thanks,

Sam

Not sure if you you've already had a look at this but it should contain some valuable info: http://www.au.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html#s-non-debian-partitioning (assuming your using an i386 based system)

I'm no expert but I would expect that installing debian (sarge or whatever) onto a completely separate partition ( in your case hda3) would not disrupt your existing Slackware partition on hda1.
I believe the only thing common to both partitions ( if you are using this method) would be LILO on the MBR. And I believe the debian installer will pick up the fact that you already have another OS installed on hda1 and so write that to lilo.conf. In which case you should be OK to install debian on hda3.
I haven't installed Sarge this way myself but have done similar with woody and then upgraded to Sarge.

Hopefully a more experienced debian slugger can confirm whether this is correct or not.

- Rocci.