<quote who="Peter Rundle">

> > Please give list, or me, a two-liner to say what you have done.  I have
> > spent months, and $1000s to get two linux boxes to talk to one-another
> > wirelessly.
>
> I purchased two Dlink-G810 wireless bridges. About $A140 ea. I simply
> connected one to our network switch using cat 5 cable, and the other to
> the ethernet card on my Linux desktop (again with cat 5 cable).

> I can accept that there is over head, encryption costs etc etc and would
> be happy with 10Mbs through put but I'm only get about 1Mbit. The box has
> 108Mbs on it in big red letters! I.E I'm getting about 100 times slower
> than advertised.

Aha! This is starting to make sense now. You bought two wireless bridges
(http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241) and, from the sounds of it, you
don't have an access point. This means that your wireless network is running
in ad-hoc mode rather than being managed by an access point. This will have
a pretty significant effect on performance, and probably link quality too.

What you ought to have done (sorry), is buy an access point to connect to
your switch (or even to replace it), and configure the wireless bridge as a
client to the access point.

A wireless bridge is most often useful when you have an ethernet-enabled
device, such as a printer, gaming console or old computer, that can't be
upgraded to support wifi (for a normal desktop computer, you'd just get a
CardBus or PCI adapter).

But every wifi network should have an access point, unless you just have a
couple of laptops in a cafe and want to share a few files. :-)

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: Stuttgart, Germany                      http://2005.guadec.org/

                              Arch *is* easy!