Hi

> > > Please give list, or me, a two-liner to say what you have done.  I have
> > > spent months, and $1000s to get two linux boxes to talk to one-another
> > > wirelessly.
> >
> > I purchased two Dlink-G810 wireless bridges. About $A140 ea. I simply
> > connected one to our network switch using cat 5 cable, and the other to
> > the ethernet card on my Linux desktop (again with cat 5 cable).
>
> > I can accept that there is over head, encryption costs etc etc and would
> > be happy with 10Mbs through put but I'm only get about 1Mbit. The box has
> > 108Mbs on it in big red letters! I.E I'm getting about 100 times slower
> > than advertised.
>
> Aha! This is starting to make sense now. You bought two wireless bridges
> (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241) and, from the sounds of it, you
> don't have an access point. This means that your wireless network is running
> in ad-hoc mode rather than being managed by an access point. This will have
> a pretty significant effect on performance, and probably link quality too.
>
> What you ought to have done (sorry), is buy an access point to connect to
> your switch (or even to replace it), and configure the wireless bridge as a
> client to the access point.
>
> A wireless bridge is most often useful when you have an ethernet-enabled
> device, such as a printer, gaming console or old computer, that can't be
> upgraded to support wifi (for a normal desktop computer, you'd just get a
> CardBus or PCI adapter).
>
> But every wifi network should have an access point, unless you just have a
> couple of laptops in a cafe and want to share a few files. :-)

You've just spoiled my sense of achievment!!

What I was about to do was this

    |  A   |--[bridge] /   \   /   \   /   \   / [bridge]--------|  B   |
                             (5 meters)

This is the world, the whole world, and nothing but the world.
Peter just explained his setup to me, now you say that's not good.

I just want a solution, not more heartache.
Suggestions, before I spend more $100s that don't work.

James