<quote who="Shaun Butler">

> My home PC runs Fedora Core 1 with the Gnome Desktop. My wife and I have
> separate user accounts so we can both log in and use our own mail clients,
> have our own desktop settings etc. The one thing that I am sick of is
> having to log out of each others' accounts and then log into our own to
> read email etc.
>
> Windows XP has functionality which enables you to switch between users
> quickly. Is there a way in linux to be able to switch users quickly
> without logging off one user and then logging onto the other?

Totally - GNOME has had this feature for ages! :-) You can even run another
session in a little window in your existing session. The two menu items that
will help you out (yes, they should be in more sensible locations):

  Applications > System Tools > New Login
  Applications > System Tools > New Login in a Nested Window

The second will only appear if you have xnest installed, and will launch a
new login screen in a window, rather than as a full screen display.

Switching between the logins is a little bit harder than Windows XP, because
we haven't nicely integrated it into the UI as much, but you only need to
hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 (the normal first display) and Ctrl-Alt-F8 (for the second
display).

Hopefully this functionality will be exposed in a much nicer way during the
next GNOME development cycle. :-)

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: Stuttgart, Germany                      http://2005.guadec.org/

         "Applications are just kernel testcases." - Andrew Morton